Saturday, July 5, 2008

In The Begining

I realized I wanted to tell stories at an early age. In my youth, my small circle of friends consisted of a handful of classmates, relatives (siblings and cousins) and the characters I found in the pages of such books as Treasure Island, The Three Musketeers, Moby Dick, The Hobbit, and countless comic book titles my father would bring home. I guess you could say I was the perennial bookworm with a predilection to imagining "What could be" as opposed to being swept up in the reality of "What is". The books coupled with a steady diet of movies ( Enter The Dragon, Shaft, Star Wars, etc) and the fact that my father was also a cartoonist and writer helped to fuel the side of my soul that would wander far and wide of the here and now.


Flash forward to the adult years and the socially awkward bookworm has become the quiet guy at the party whose eyes seem to read everything going on in the room. You know, the strange chap over in the corner who holds a degree in film and seems to enjoy the taste of Jack Daniels (at least that is what he says he is drinking)? Yeah, the one who seems to be rambling on about chasing the phantom wisp of his dreams, catching the elusive vapors in a mayo jar and pinning them, wings still fluttering to the pages of screenplays. Apparently he has been working days at a museum waiting for his big break, but it seems like it's not going to come quite the way he has been anticipating. I swear to you between his crunching the ice cubes in his drink and his mumbling I thought I heard him say something about "creating" his own break (why that conjures images of a half mad, be speckled and balding Frankenstein furiously stitching together his monster is beyond me) by way of a "graphic novel" (what the hell is that?)

"What does the blog have to do with this?" you ask. Well, it will serve as a story of a different sort, the kind that he maybe isn't so used to telling. It will chronicle the strange and wonderful journey he's undertaking to piece together the monsters from his mind (some of them friendly, others not so much). Will it be entertaining? Who's to say, but by its end, maybe...just maybe "What could be" and "What is" might become "What could be ...IS"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Turner,
I hope you know how amazing you are? (Personally & professionally)
I’m a witness from your early days to the present & honored to know you. Your kind soul, passion, creativity and tenacity are characteristics that make you a successful human being. I can't wait to read more !!!!!
Ms. “R”