Friday, March 4, 2011

Long Eyed....

it's a term my grandmother used to use when I was a kid, insinuating that my aspirations for more far outstripped my capacity. Usually it was used in reference to when I might happen to spy the size of the slice of chocolate cake that occupied my uncles plate on the special occasion when my grandmother would make it. I thought I could eat a piece just as big as his, if not bigger. Often, if I was lucky and foolish enough to attempt to match his feats of gastric daring do....I would pay for it with a stomach ache and smile on my face that said "sometimes biting off more than you can chew hurts so good". Well, as the years have passed, I've learned that the term can apply to so much more than what is on one's plate. In this instance...the creation of a comic book. Right now I am starting the 4th draft of the script while my artist (Tanna Tucker) braces herself for what I am sure will be a penciler's nightmare (or idea of heaven on Earth if you are into that twisted kind of punishment). The scope of what is happening is something I often push to the back of my mind as I try to focus on the hurdle immediately in front of me. But, as I look up and down the road....I sometimes catch my breath and hear my grandmother saying "there he goes again being long eyed". This project will only still be at the start of the overall picture once it is penciled, inked, colored and printed. After that comes the marketing and distribution...figuring out how to increase the profile of what I think is a really great story. To do this, it all takes money (I once heard a very successful business man say "it takes money to make money") and so another dimension is added to the mix. Looking at various streams of fund raising (crowd sourcing will play a major role), possible investors as well as good old fashioned sweating to earn a paycheck will all play into putting the "chocolate cake" on the plate (so to speak) so that it can all happen. Yes, I may be long eyed, but I am looking forward to that feeling of "hurts so good" when it all comes together.

No comments: